Pfister & Associates, Attorneys and Counselors at Law
For compassionate, experienced and
certified legal support call today.

How Intrusive Can a Divorce Court Judge Be?

Is it possible for a judge to order a father of nine children who is behind on child support payments to stop having more children until he can demonstrate that he is able to provide for them financially? Sounds like the government intruding into a person's seriously private life, right?

But that's exactly what happened for Corey Curtis, 44, who has fathered nine children with six different women. Wisconsin Family Court Judge Tim Boyle instructed Corey Curtis, 44, instructed him to stop having children until he can pay for them. He stopped short of ordering him sterilized, which is considered unlawful government intrusion.

Just wait, there's more. A recent New York Law Journal reported that a deadbeat dad in Clinton County was put on a budget for "egregious" violation of court orders until he pays off the $14,000 in way past due child support. In this case, Thomas M., the father, is not allowed to "purchase, lease, or rent" anything from alcohol to tobacco products to electronic devices to guns to camping equipment to hotel rooms to RVs and even movies!

Truly, just how intrusive can a divorce court judge legally be? What rights does the judge have to tell you what to do and how to live? Evidently, when it comes to not paying child support that is ordered by the court, the judge has a lot of leeway. They can even have you thrown in jail for contempt of a court order of child support.

The judge in the budget case cited specific Family Court Acts that allowed the recalcitrant father on probation. When it comes to best interest of the children in question, the court has a very long arm.

If you believe that you are going to fall behind in your support payments, it might be wise to seek counsel with an attorney. Do not wait until you are months behind. The law has a way of catching up with those in violation of court orders, fair or not, it's the way the family law system works.

Contact Pfister Borserine & Associates

At Pfister Borserine & Associates, we have protected the rights of people across north Texas for more than 20 years. Board-certified in family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, attorney John J. Pfister, Jr. understands that every case is different and will take the time to learn the details of your situation. We will then carefully craft an individualized approach to help you get the outcome you want.
For an appointment with an experienced divorce and child custody lawyer, contact our office by e-mail or call us at 972-712-6700.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

6814 Lebanon Road
Suite 101
Frisco, TX 75034

Phone: 972-712-6700
Fax: 972-767-5080
Map & Directions