Pfister & Associates, Attorneys and Counselors at Law
For compassionate, experienced and
certified legal support call today.

Do I Need Restraining Order?

Protective or retraining orders can be used to prohibit a person from committing further family violence, stalking, harassing either directly or indirectly the victim, or coming near to the school or daycare center that the order-protected child is attending.

Restraining orders also serve other purposes. For example, when divorce papers are filed, a restraining or protective order can also potentially:

  • Stop or prohibit property transfers or disposal of any property
  • Establish a temporary possession and visitation order of any involved children
  • Establish a support protocol for the immediate future
  • Order mandatory counseling
  • Force one person to leave the residence of the property specified in the order

These restraining or protective orders are all filed in civil court. If a protective order is violated, the person who violated the order must be found in contempt of court, first. If the person does not then adhere to the rules, he or she can potentially be put in jail.

If you believe that you are at risk of violence, harassment or stalking from the other person involved in your divorce, then it pays to obtain a restraining order. If the violence appears to be immediate, the police can issue an Emergency Protective Order, which allows you to be protected for a few days while you apply for a temporary restraining order with civil court.

If you believe that you cannot trust the other person to dispose of or in some other way attempt to transfer property that will come into question during the property settlement of your divorce, then it's wise to obtain a temporary restraining order that can be served at the time the papers for filing a divorce are served.

Contact Pfister Borserine & Associates

At Pfister Borserine & Associates, we have protected the rights of people across north Texas for more than 20 years. Board-certified in family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, attorney John J. Pfister, Jr. understands that every case is different and will take the time to learn the details of your situation. We will then carefully craft an individualized approach to help you get the outcome you want.
For an appointment with an experienced divorce and child custody lawyer, contact our office by e-mail or call us at 972-712-6700.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

6814 Lebanon Road
Suite 101
Frisco, TX 75034

Phone: 972-712-6700
Fax: 972-767-5080
Map & Directions