Pfister & Associates, Attorneys and Counselors at Law
For compassionate, experienced and
certified legal support call today.

Child Custody Archives

Why You Should Be Honest in Your Child Custody Case

When your children are part the equation in a divorce, it can be hard to be reasonable and rational, especially when you believe that their wellbeing is at stake. Going through a divorce when you are having differences regarding what you believe is best for your children is an extremely upsetting and highly emotional process.

Parental Alienation Syndrome

The term parental alienation syndrome was coined by the late Columbia University Professor Dr. Richard Gardner, in 1985. He used this phrase to describe the process by which one parent socializes his or her child against the other loved parent. He noted that the condition or disorder occurred exclusively in situations of high-conflict divorce and child custody cases.

Can I Stop My Ex From Smoking Around Our Child?

There will probably always be things your ex does that irritate and annoy you. Maybe he (or she) is perpetually five minutes late. Maybe you think he lets your joint child watch too much television during visitation times. Perhaps you think he takes the "healthy lifestyle" too far and should let your joint child have an ice cream cone once in a blue moon.

When Your Ex Gets A New Girlfriend/Boyfriend: Concerns About Joint Children

If you start worrying about your ex's future partners while you are still in the divorce processes, there may be clauses that your attorney can help you add to the divorce papers to address some of these concerns:

Coparenting Resources: Taking a Cooperative Approach to Custody and Visitation

Many couples stay married "for the sake of the children." However, if you are ending your marriage, and you share joint children, your relationship with your ex will never really end. Except in rare circumstances, you will need to continue to communicate about issues like finances, education, health, extracurricular activities, travel, and college.

Are You Worried About Your Ex Drinking While With Your Child?

If you are worried about your ex-spouse drinking excessively while in the presence of your joint child, your first step is to figure out why you are worried, so you can communicate this to your family law attorney. The legal strategies available to you might be different depending on the reasons you are worried.

Calculating Child Support in Texas

Texas family law calculates child support based on a formula known as "percentage of income." This formula considers the income of the noncustodial parent when calculating child support but does not consider the income of the custodial parent.

Factors to Consider in Custody and Visitation Disputes in Texas

How the Texas Courts Establish Custody and Visitation

In Texas, you can enter into a mutual agreement regarding the custody and visitation rights of parents with respect to minor children. However, if you cannot come to an agreement, the court will, in its discretion, make a determination of what is in the best interests of the child. Children who have reached the age of 12 may participate in the determination of custody and visitation arrangements. This blog post looks at the factors the court will consider when evaluating what is in the best interests of the child.

Grandparent's Rights in Texas

When Your Children Divorce-Your Rights as a Grandparent in Texas

When your child divorces, particularly when they don't get custody of their minor children, you can be put in the most heartbreaking position of all. You love your grandchildren like they were your own children. You have built strong bonds, and a relationship that provides security, joy and meaning for both of you. All that can end in an instant. Furthermore, because you are not a party to the divorce, you can find it difficult to pursue legal action to protect your relationship. This blog post addresses the rights of grandparents after divorce proceedings in Texas.

Your Rights in a Paternity Dispute in Texas

Why You Want to Establish Paternity

If you are unmarried, but have children, you should consider taking the steps to establish paternity, to protect both your rights and the rights of your child. In the state of Texas, the child of an unmarried couple has no legal father until there is a determination of paternity. A court cannot order the payment of child support without a determination of paternity. A non-custodial dad has no rights to visitation or custody until paternity is established. In many instances, a child may not receive benefits under a father's insurance plan until paternity is demonstrated. Government programs, such as Social Security and veteran's benefits, may be unavailable without a showing of paternity.

Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

6160 Warren Parkway
Suite 100
Frisco, TX 75034

Phone: 972-712-6700
Fax: 972-767-5080
Map & Directions